Discerning God’s Voice
This fall the women’s Bible study groups are using a study by Priscilla Shirer called, Discerning God’s Voice—How to Recognize When God Speaks. We are just about half way through the study—and the lessons from God have been rich for me. Here are just a few of my thoughts:
* If I want to hear the voice of God I need to be obedient. Why will He speak to me if He knows I am not ready to listen and to obey?
* If I want to hear the voice of God I have to be quiet. I need to be still to know God, and if I don’t know Him I won’t know His voice when He speaks.
* God wants me to know Him. He longs for me to seek Him. He gave His Son, not only to pay the penalty of our sins, but also so that we could know Him. John 14:7 says, “If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.” And then Jesus sent us the Holy Spirit to live inside us as believers – to teach us and change us from the inside out.
* It’s more important to search for God Himself, than to search for His will for my life. In fact, Priscilla urges everyone to “frantically search for God.” God is always working in us to give us the desire and energy to do His will. Trust Him to show you what He wants you to do . Priscilla compared it to a GPS program. The program giving you directions only gives you one at a time, and only just before you need to change direction. So keep seeking God, keep trusting Him, and He will show you the way, one step at a time.
* The Holy Spirit should be my daily guide. I need to let Him advise me and point the way. I need to trust Him. I need to follow His instructions.
This month, as the days get shorter and colder, and we spend more time inside, seize this time to get to know God more. Don’t fill the dark evening hours only with things that eat up time but don’t enrich your soul. Get in His Word. Get on your knees. Let God give you the desire and the energy to know Him and do His will. As Priscilla said, “the kind (of change) that frees you to walk within rhythms of grace, fueled by the power of God must stem from the inside, not the outside.” (pg. 65)
Church friends– walk in the rhythm of grace this month. Be fueled by the power of God. Listen for His voice. Kris Balvin